Saturday, September 15, 2012

Workmanship

I have been reading lots of blogs this week and trying to play catch up on the blogs that I am writing for. One thing that caught my eye this week...

Workmanship.. Some how vendors are out in the world that seem to think that just doing enough is okay. I totally disagree. I think that if it is not the best work that you know how to do- then you should not sell it. Period.

One artisan wrote about how she cut costs (and workmanship) to sell her item at a "reasonable" price. Why? It takes no longer to sew something correctly than it does the less correct way. It takes no longer to match plaids on a item than it does, to not match them-- yet the item looks so much nicer with the plaids matched.  I wonder if these vendors get a lot of repeat business?

I would hope that everyone who reads this note... Please just do your very best. And if you know that your sewing machine is skipping stitches or you are sewing with rotted thread.. or a needle with a burr so that your stitches are pulled.. that you just don't sell that item.
 I absolutely think it is to the vendor's benefit to have integrity when they are making and selling. And really think-- would you want to receive the item that you are trying to pass off as perfect, if you had bought it?   I wonder

ttfn,

3 comments:

  1. I agree to a certain extent...I do believe you should always try to put your best effort forward and give your customer's the best quality you can ....However there are those days when things just don't seem to add up and nothing is coming together correctly.
    What do you do with these sub par creations?...Just take the hit?..
    Or could you offer them out to your customer's at a discounted rate...as long as your always honest?
    I actually prefer the imperfections of most handmade goods for the character it adds :)

    Don't get me wrong, I personally always try to give my customer's the highest quality I can offer but I have learned to also except the fact that I am not a machine and I don't entirely possess the patients of a quilter...but my work is still worth the time and money :)

    Sorry for the long comment :P

    Samantha
    http://www.midnitehollow.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just don't sell anything that I would consider Sub-par. I might donate it-if it wasn't too bad. And if it was really bad.. I would keep it for me or just toss it. I too believe my work is worth the time and money- but I won't compromise my quality for a sale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the net the
    easiest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I certainly get irked while
    people think about worries that they just don't know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined out the whole thing without having side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thanks
    Feel free to surf my webpage ; Rattan Garden Furniture

    ReplyDelete