Thursday, December 8, 2011

Avatars

So many of my forum mates are having a hard time with sales.
They ask for critiques... which I think is a slippery slope. I don't want people telling me what they don't like about my shop.... so I rarely respond to that sort of thing about others. No one wants to hurt anyone's feelings and I can see that happening easily.

However, I do not have a problem talking about it here.! So, I am starting a series to talk about what I see.

One thing that I see-- Avatars... they should represent what you sell or what you are trying to say... Not a picture of you and your boyfriend/husband. And not a picture of yourself-- these selling sites are not a dating thing. What you look like does not matter to me and should not matter to others.

 I think it is a judgement call if you are selling Kids items and Pet items- then maybe your Child or Pet would be good. Otherwise, find something that represents your shop.
You are presumably marketing your craft-- this is one of the first things people look at-- they want to look at the Avatar and know pretty much what the shop is about.

I think with my Purple Paw.. you would understand I sell Pet items... I think with my other avatars- you get what I am promoting.

I think these social media sites have got people confused. I do not need to know what you look like to purchase something from you. In fact my avatar on facebook is a quilt. People don't need to know what I look like. My friends already know.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I agree also. My avatar is the same as my shop logo on my banner. For me, it's all about "brand identity". It took me a while to decide what to use. I don't plan on changing it. I want it to be recognized from here on out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps you are right, but people do like to know who you are dealing with when they buy from you. I looked at a few top sellers' shops. Their own image appears there.... But you may be right too of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well--I respect your toughts and thank you for making them and leaving a comment here.
      I just don't think it matters what someone looks like. I think feedback is for "who you are dealing with". I think the sellers who have the big sales- have it for a reason- they have a good product for a good price. What they look like is not why they sell well.

      Delete