Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Taking Checks at a Craft Show-New Bank Rules-You Need to Read This

I am not getting involved in the politics of our government or the new banking rules put forth by  the powers to be. I just want every Crafter out there to be aware of what is happening now and what I found out. Here is the list that I compiled from banks around here (CNY).

Normally when I take a check at a craft show- if  I don't know the person and am iffy about them- I would take the check to their bank and cash it. It comes right from their account and I walk out of the bank with my cash.

BUT NOT ANYMORE... Banks have come up with a new thing and they are charging a fee to non-customers (me or you) to cash a check drawn off their bank. You just need to pray that they really are not writing you a bad check. (I do have to say in more than 20 yrs selling that I have only had 2 bad checks and they have been from people I knew!).

I really don't think it would be considered leagl to charge your customer the extra fee for them to write you a check. I would certainly put a sign up at your booth to say you charge say $25-35.00 for return check fees. I know you can't expect to collect anything without that sign. Make sure you get their driver's license number and that their addresses match and you get a phone number-in case.

  • Key Bank  $7.00
  • M + T Bank  $5.00
  • HSBC  $5.00 (over $100)
  • Alliance Bank  $5.00
  • Charter One  $5.00
  • Summit FCU  $2.50
  • Citizens Bank  $7.00
  • Bank of America  $5.00
  • Chase  $6.00

And here are ones that do NOT charge you:
  • Adirondack Bank
  • Community Bank
  • First Niagara
  • Fulton Savings Bank
  • Lyons National bank
  • Oneida Savings bank
  • SECNY Fed CU
  • Solvay bank
  • Wilbur National bank
  • Americu CU
  • Empower CU

I didn't realize that there were so many banks in my phone book. I did not call all of the credit unions in the area.

And I wonder how the banks who charge will react when I and others call them to verify funds on checks? Hopefully, they get sick of doing that and reconsider these charges. When I had them on the phone- I did ask why? since the money is coming out their customer's acct.. Not one had an answer except to say "they needed to pass on costs". Great.

27 comments:

  1. Hello, I'M your newest follower, thanks for following Money Savvy Mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for following Mommy Time Out

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does stink! Thanks for visiting me~ I'm following you now too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! I stumbled onto your blog, and just had to leave a comment telling you how wonderful I think it is! Your design is pretty, and your content is great!

    Please keep it up, I've followed you for more. :D

    Best Wishes,
    ●▬▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬▬●

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog. I wish I had your talent. I just entered a bake off and the money goes to the SGK foundation, so we're fighting for you! Thank you for following, and I look forward to reading and looking at more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an interesting post. Thanks so much for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. following back from Baby Bottom Line :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im a new follower through follow friday. i like your blog. always nice to meet new people online with the same interests. hope to get to know you better. stop by anytime for a great recipe or submit one to be featured on my blog! thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Returning the follow from the Saturday Stalk blog hop. :)

    Marie

    The Things We Find Inside

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well it looks like I missed being your 100th follower by 1. *grins* Congrats to the next one.

    I cannot believe these banks. They are making and over fist!

    Your quilts are very pretty. SOmething I wished I knew how to do.

    Thanks for coming by and following me.

    Peace...Naila Moon

    http://yaknowstuff.blogspot.com/2010/10/october-blog-challenge-day-8-thank-you.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Hope you enjoy your visit when you get a chance to come back. I've just read every single post in your blog. I was quite impressed with all of the great information. I went to your Etsy shop. You have some very unique items for sale. I am amazed that you can make just about anything without a pattern. Maybe one day I'll be able to do that. That would be awesome. So happy for you that you've beat cancer twice. My mom beat breast cancer over 25 years ago. How fun to have so many pets including donkeys. I am following your blog and will put you on my blog roll so I don't miss a post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the follow! I'm following you back as well. I know it seems you're mostly an animal quilter but I'm hosting a blanket/hat/bootie drive for Seattle Children's hospital on my other blog if you're interested!

    http://whatsuptop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. To misquote Brecht - "What is robbing a bank compared to founding a bank?"

    Indeed, the current economic crisis is just showing us how unscrupulous bank administrators are! What you state is important, but just the icing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Following you back from Fabulous Follow Friday! Thanks for coming by and following me too! I have relatives in the Oneida area so we're out there several times a year. Missed it the last 2 years but have gone out for Craft Days in Sept many times. Do you usually do that show? Nice meeting you! Stop by anytime!

    Peace,
    Martha @ A Real (Upstate) NY Housewife

    PS: Love your background! ;~)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi I'm a new follower. Love your blog. You do beautiful work! Just a quick comment about your post....I am in Idaho and many of the banks I have contacted will not verify funds because it's an invasion of privacy....I say, what invasion? I just want a yes or no as to whether I can cash it or not!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love quilts!
    Thanks for following my blog. Im now following back..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Visiting you from Boost Your Blog. I have two cats that look just like the one in the basket. How funny! I'm a new follower. Hope you can stop by for a visit.

    www.zibelineknits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for visiting my site. I am following you.

    I have my first craft show next weekend and I had not even thought about taking checks. I think I will just skip it for sure.

    http://ninasmomma.blogspot.com/
    http://kirsyscreations.blogspot.com/

    ~Kirs

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is crazy!! That shouldn't be allowed at all.
    I am a new follower. I LOVE your site. Hope you can follow me back :)

    http://airforcewifeandmommytwo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi- Thanks so much for visiting my blog Pocket Full of Pink! I appreciate your comments. I love your blog and I am happy to be a follower. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First, thank you for dropping in on my blog. I am always happy to have visitors, particularly if they become regulars:-) I just had a vision from the TV show Cheers when Norm walks into the bar and everyone says, "Hi Norm." Yah, my mind works like that. Anywhoozle, this blog was enlightening. That is a real pisser offer. That is just not right. If the check comes from their bank, they should cash it free of charge. I about fell over when I read this. Un-freakin-believable.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's ridiculous! By the way, I'm your newest follower from the Saturday Stalk!

    KC @ One + One = Four

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for letting us know! That is so dumb.

    Just found you on one of the Saturday blog hops! Have a great evening.

    Amanda @ www.nutritionistreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Here from the Hop ... hope that you are having a Fab Fall Weekend. Down in FL, we are trying our very best to make it seems a little like Fall, trying :)
    Please make a note that Wednesday Wishlist is my blog hop on you guessed it, Wednesday - for The Twelve Weeks of Christmas with a fab bling piece giveaway - don't miss, make a note and you just have to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is good to know thanks for sharing this, and that's why I never accept checks. I have told customers who wanted to pay in a check that I will hold the item for them for a negotiated time when they can come back and pay me in cash.

    thanks for the follow, I love your blog backround and content. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Banks and credit Unions would love to be the only avenues from which you order your checks.Here check out my siteOrdering my checks

    ReplyDelete